Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop PC - Will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

troubleman1

Technical User
Dec 15, 2004
US
I have a home built desktop PC that will not boot. I was in the process of uninstalling my printer (HP Photosmart C6180)driver software and downloading a new version from HP. I was encountering malfunction errors. After the software loaded it required a reboot. After it shut down it would not reboot.

I keep hearing 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps. From what I can find surfing the net that I might have a display adapter or video card issue. Here are my pc components.

Mother board: ASUS M2A-VM HDMI
Video Card: ASUS HDMI / AV / S /SP

I have ready many of the other threads but did not find any related to my exact issue.

Am I on the right path to replace my video card? If so, is there anyway to test before purchasing a new one? Any other recommendations?

Different Bios have different code meanings.

Power On Self Test Beep Codes
for AMI and Phoenix BIOS

Will your machine start in Safe Mode, or will it not get past the boot screen "Post"?

I don't know about testing a Video Card (old or new?), unless the Retailer will do it for you.

This article is getting on for 4 years old but might be worth a read still.

Video Card 101

These might be later articles and reviews.

What about a new machine with Windows 7 as a present for yourself?

As linney says, different BIOS have different beep codes, here's another good site to check your code against:
Just removing the card and trying to boot using the onboard graphics should tell you a lot.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back