Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Message Not Found or Radio Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
Hi everyone. We are running BES. I have a user experiencing the above message where he is not able to open attachments. He is also not able to forward messages with attachments. While forwarding, he occassionally gets a red X and after a retry will get a successful send but the attachment is stripped out. His Outlook is NOT configured to send directly to a PST so that isn't the issue. Could we just have a bad device? I may swap it out and see what happens.

Are any AV products stripping or quarantining the email\attachment in Outlook or maybe an archiving solution that is changing the original message at some point? If the red cross is seen on first attempt then the BES can't find the original item and the second attempt the device will use the copy of the message on the device to forward\reply, but the attachment won't be on the device to forward\reply with.

Cheers
jpaf

nope. it is a normal email account within Exchange. We've done much diagnosis with RIM. This happens on all new accounts no matter the device. There is something in the server preventing the device from seeing the attachments. We can then go into OWA and see the email and attachments just fine so this shows the inbox is showing the emails properly. RIM is not seeing them for some reason. All older accounts work just fine. RIM suggests we recreate the MAPI profile. I haven't done that yet. Has anyone done this?

I would like to just upgrade to 4.1 since we are still on 3.6.

Yeah, good plan, I'd upgrade from 3.6 to start with and revisit if necessary afterwards.....

Recreating the MAPI profile is relatively easy, it just means a disruption in service.

Also, what's different with new accounts? Are they on different exchange servers\mailstores to older accounts that don't see the issue?

that's just the thing. This system has been static for months. We do not create new users any differently. We have one Exchange server. It would make total sense if we had multiple servers but not in this case. It just doesn't make sense. I've been on the phone with RIM for literally hours and have them baffled as well. We turned up logging and still have found nothing. Oh well.

One question I have is this. I found that we had Blackberry maintenance and someone downloaded the 4.1 upgrade. I am wondering if we can install this upgrade as a new Blackberry server so that's all it does is Blackberry stuff. Or are we forced to upgrade the existing server? I have a decent Dell server sitting around doing nothing at the moment. The downloaded filename is besx_4.1.6.exe and it is 321mb. There is also a download of SP6_MaintenanceRelease6_besx416mr4.zip which I assume is a patch of some sort.

If you install 4.1.6 new, then you have to wipe devices and reactivate each one on the new server. If you do an in-place upgrade of 3.6 to 4.1.6 then you don't. The MR is a rollup of fixes for SP6, I beleive MR5 or 6 is the latest one.

I'd love to get it off the server it's running on now so wiping the devices might have to be. Can we run two blackberry servers independently? That way I can do one at a time and not disrupt all the users at once...

Yep, install the new one and then gradually move users. You can use Desktop Manager to backup and then restore their data after the wipe. You will need new SRP and CALs for the new server though. I believe you can purchase a migration kit for this.

Awesome jpaf! Would these file downloads we have be a full installation of BES 4.1 would you know along with the maintenance release??

Filename: besx_4.1.6.exe
Size: 321MB

Filename: SP6_MaintenanceRelease6_besx416mr4.zip
Size: 52MB

If I have a new server on the network with nothing on it, can I just run besx_4.1.6.exe and away I go?

I don't have any instructions nor can I find any online... yet... still looking...

The LAST thing I can afford to do is to disrupt anyone here. I should wait for a night or weekend?

thanks!
Steve

I never mentioned the initial device error while trying to read an attachment....

It is "Couldn't Retrieve More" Then when you try to retrieve it a second time is when we get the message "Desktop Message Not Found or Radio Failure"

Maybe this helps a little.

Here is my latest post on blackberryforums

You will find all the docs you need here:

> Support & Services > Product Documentation > Documentation for Admins > Select the mail platform you have and then choose the version of software you want to install.

When you install a fresh installation on a new server, as long as you do not point at the original SQL database during the installation, then you will be fine, it will create a new, separate environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back