Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Locking

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHSTech

Instructor
Nov 14, 2002
US
Is there a program that will allow me to lock my computer's desktop properties so the kids here at my school can't mess with my Screen Saver, Background, and desktop Icons?

Please help.

Thanks!

There is a little program called WinThrasher that would do something of this nature. Maybe that might help you.

Another option would be to use server based profiles. Everyone gets the same profile and is not allowed to change it.
Even if they change something, the next time they logon, they get the old server profile.
(Works only when you use a server ?!)

Let me explain the situation a little bit better.

In our school library the students have access but we need a way for them to use them with out fidgiting with the Computer Settings (Desktops, Windows Passwords, screensavers, and deleting icons on the desktop) I was need a program that would possibly ask a password before changing any of the above things, if you know of any please reply.

thanks

Do they log on as them selves or is a universal id?

Is this a Win2k AD domain?

If so how about Group Policy?

If you tweak the NT permissions and setup a policy you can do all those items you wish to stop the kids from doing.

If you are using a WIndows based NOS, then either create a single profile and have all students use that or create individual profiles for each student, either way set the profiles to mandatory. This will allow only admins to change them. Also create a student group and policy for the aforementioned group and disable access to the display properties within that group.

Just my $0.02c worth.

I suggest you use Fortres 101, .

"Fortres 101 is an innovative security agent that resides invisibly between the computer and the user. A computer sentinel, Fortres 101 monitors each action the user makes and determines if that action is legal or not. As a systems administrator for one or one thousand machines, software security is a must. Protecting not only the software and hardware applications, Fortres 101 also protects time and money by preventing damage to files and programs. You will no longer waste time re-imaging, ghosting, or reinstalling software because of accidental or mischievous deletions and errors. Fortres 101 offers you the ability to restrict/block local hard drives and removable floppy disk drives as well as any local file, folder, or application. Install Fortres 101 on your Windows 95/98/Me and Windows NT/2000/XP computers. For users of Windows 3.x, Fortres 101 v2.51d is available." --Sapient2003 - sapient@sapient2003.com
"The worst insecurity is beleiving you are too secure."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back