Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

desktop links not opening IE - but are in memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

Two members of staff have complained that icons to the online banking aren't working.

When you double click the shortcut icon, nothing happens, however, when you open task manager iexplorer is showing under processes.

I have gone to options->advanced->reset.

It has made no difference.

The link works if clicked from an email, just not from a desktop shortcut?

Any ideas why this is happening?

This is Windows 7 and IE10

Thanks,
1DMF

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

Right - it's not an "internet not working" problem. So, what are the other computers running that are working properly??? Windows 7 and NON-IE10?? I'm always suspicious of the most recent thing installed and I'm guessing that IE10 is pretty new. Could be a bug.

I have windows 7 and IE10 and it is working fine?

However, both ladies in accounts are having this problem? yes, I upgraded them to IE10 yesterday.

I was kinda hoping it isn't IE10 related as that has been in the field under Windows 8 long enough to iron the major bugs out , well you'd think!

I don't really want to uninstall IE10, but if needs must, however, as I said , if I create a shortcut to the same URL on my desktop it works fine?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

on these machines IE is the only browser.

another member of staff has found a problem with printing a website, when going to print preview the page is blank and it it shows 1'00 of pages loading?

It was only a single page website to print, but the 1 of xxx just kept going up!

I removed IE10 and print preview worked fine, I might have to do the same for those in accounts tomorrow!

Hmm. Do I see a little bug crawling up in your business? See what happens if you remove IE10 and reboot afterwards OR use System Restore.

Well I fixed the desktop shortcut issue by using the 'reset' option under Tools->Internet Options->Advanced.

However, it does look like IE10 is not ready from commercial use, I'll update as and when I have more info to report!

it does look like IE10 is not ready from commercial use
I don't know about that, but I NEVER use IE any more unless I visit a customer that has nothing else installed.

I'm using ie10 and it's not hit a single issue, in fact the latest version of SW Iron (aka Chrome with the spyware) is doing more weird stuff than ie10, when it used to be the most "reliable" for rendering.
Swings and those darn roundabouts.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I also am running IE10 without issue.

However the second lady in accounts even after running the 'reset' option under 'advanced' couldn't open web shortcuts from her desktop.

I uninstalled IE10 and they are working just fine again.

I have requested all 22 staff upgrade to IE10 , but so far have had to remove it from 2 users. I don't know what the ratio of working / failing is as I know not everyone will have upgraded and I can't actually force a rollout!

I personally am a fan of IE (not fanboy!), I just have always preferred IE, and as I wouldn't touch anything Google with a barge pole , Chrome is out of the question, even if it has proved to be the most secure in recent tests, well as much as spyware can be ;-)

Like you say Robert, swings and roundabouts, horses for courses and better the devil you know!

Firefox pour moi, por favor. I stay away from Chrome because Google is trying to take over the world and know all my personal information and I don't want to help them any more than I have to.[dazed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back