Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop LAG problem -

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodweb

Technical User
Feb 5, 2001
US
I run an AMD 800 with 512 meg PC133 SDRAM using NT4, sp5 as the OS. My video card is a RIVA128 with current drivers.

Everytime I minimize a window to the taskbar to display the desktop, it lags for about 5 seconds before it performs the task. All other functions on this machine operate normally and without problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the fix?

thanks!
GoOdwEb

Its being caused by some software you installed. Wvery time you try to minimise that software is activated to do specific tasks, but in reality its not doing it.

Have you installed any utility tools such as Norton 2000. Any anti virus software. Go to add remove programms, try to remove all unnessary applications, such as scanner software etc. If the problem is gone, then re install each software one at a time.

Hope this helps

Dinshaw

Well.. first of all, it is a NT4 Server.. I am now under the impression that the problem is caused by the priority given to the gui by the OS.. server functions high... gui low.. thus the lag in minimizing at the desktop.. does this seem like a reasonable explanation?

GoOdwEb's Internet Cafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back