Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop in recycle bin!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alahol2

Programmer
Dec 17, 2002
GB
A neighbour appears to have put 'my pictures', 'my documents' etc into the recycle bin. The PC takes a long time to load XP with much 'beeping'. The result is that when clicking on the recycle bin icon you get an explorer screen of the desktop. If I try to go to properties of the recycle bin, the hard disk starts to 'cycle'.
I haven't tried to empty the recycle bin yet.
Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Can you not go into the recycle bin, highlight the items and go "restore"

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

'Fraid not. If I go into recycle bin I don't get the recycle bin, I get the explorer screen of the desktop, ie the window is actually labelled 'Desktop' not 'Recycle Bin' and there is no option to restore.

have you looked at c:\recycler? Its a hidden system folder so you may have to enable those in explorer. If you can get to it, it might be possible to restore from there.

Regards,
Roger

Try right clicking on the recyle bin...

What menu choices do you see?

If there are no options for empty recyle bin / restore recycle bin then this is not really a shortcut to the recycle bin....

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Right clicking the recycle bin icon gives the option to empty etc as normal. There is no option to restore the whole bin and 'open' gives me the the explorer screen of the desktop. 'properties' causes the hard disk to 'cycle/hunt' before showing the normal properties screen for the recycle bin.
There seems to be some sort of operating system loop going on here.

Thanks everyone, just been back to have another try and it booted up much cleaner this time. I was able to explore the recycle bin and restore the my pictures etc folders.
I obviously did something the first time I looked because all previous bootups had been problematical.
Just wish I knew what I did to sort out the problem in case it happens again...
Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back