Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlarry

Instructor
Oct 10, 2000
US
Still have an icon on my desktop for a program that has been uninstalled. When I right ckick on the icon and select Delete I get a bos headed: "Connection Manager Profile Installer" with instructions for running cmstp.exe. Instructions ask for full path to Profile Inf. I don't have an "inf" file for the program that has been uninstalled. How can I get the icon off the desktop?

This icon is not listed in c:\windows\desktop. There are 28 icons on the desktop but only 21 are listed in that folder.

If the Windows is setup for several users each with its own desktop it could also be in the desktop directory of the user currently logged in. Or in All users.

Hi,
I just found your Connection Manager question by doing a Google search...because I had the same problem! I don't know if you've fixed it yet, but here is what I just did. (My dad ended up helping me!)

Do a registry search for nocharge, or whatever the name of the icon you can't get rid of.

Start / Run / Regedit
Edit / Find

DO A REGISTRY BACKUP before any you make any changes.The HELP menu can guide you thru that.

Delete the key that contains the nocharge thing. (lack of correct terminology here!)

When I went back to the desktop, I could delete that icon!

Hope this helps
Mamam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back