Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop icons rearranged after IE5.5 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElBrazoOnofre

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2001
US
After upgrading from IE5.01 to IE5.5, icons on the desktop and in the Quick Launch bar were all rearranged. I am currently searching for the root cause of this but have not found it yet. If possible, I would like to eliminate this on future installations. Any help leading to the elimination of this bugger would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. EBO

I've had icons change in the Quick Launch area by upgrading or performing a repair. I changed the name from Launch Internet Explorer Browser to just Internet Explorer, so the upgrade insists on adding these new icons back.

No big deal.

reghakr

IE does do this. Because Quick Launch is part of IE not Windows.
But I have idea that just might work. Unfortunately I don't have a machine to test it on right now.
Find the Quick Launch folder. Usually it is under C:\Windows\application data\microsoft\internet explorerOnce you find it right-click and choose properties and change its attributes to read-only. Then install IE an see if it stays the same.
Regards

Please provide feedback, good or bad.
And I'm always open to new suggestions or ideas.

Regards

I didn't notice the part about desktop icons though. Usually it might add icons on the desktop but it shouldn't change the order. As far as stopping it from adding icons you could try to make the desktop folder read-only but not sure if that will really work.
Please provide feedback, good or bad.
And I'm always open to new suggestions or ideas.

Regards

The reason why I am asking this question is that I need to deploy the update to a few thousand users and I'm trying to avoid overloading the helpdesk with calls regarding the icons. Although setting the desktop and quick launch to read-only might solve the problem (and it would be a good idea for a smaller user group), it could potentially create other problems if the read-only settings were not removed.

Any ideas on the root cause of the rearrangement?

So send out an email with step-by-step directions.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back