Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Icons Not Displaying Correctly 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickletech

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2004
US
Hello Everyone, I am having trouble with some of my icons not displaying correctly. Instead of the regular icon, they display the icon for files that have no program associated with them. It all started after I installed Nero 7, but I have uninstalled nero, and ran the Nero uninstall program, from Nero's website, that is supposed to get rid of all traces of Nero. Strangely, after I open a program, it will display the right icon. Anyone have any ideas? It is really annoying having several programs with the same icon.
Thank You,
Pickletech

What happens after you manually change them back to what they should be? After a reboot does it change them back to the "I dont know" icon?

To change them... Right click the icon->Properties, then select "Change Icon"
To find the icon that goes with that program usually just browse to the installation directory such as C:\Program Files\Program1\ and in there will be the icon you want.

Actually, it won't let me change the icon. The programs in question are Active Directory, and a bunch of programs on my flash drive, (using PStart app launcher). With Active Directory, it does not have a hard link to the file in the shortcut, for the target it just says "Windows 2003 Administration Tools Pack". I cannot change the target, and the find target and change icon buttons are greyed out. After I open Active Directory it will correctly display the right icon. I can change icons for other programs just fine. The icons in my app launcher do not display right if they are not embedded in the .exe, (as in I link to an .ico file on my flash drive), although they display right on every other computer.

Have you tried rebuilding your Icon Cache?

Icon problem after using TweakUI
thread779-715732

Thank you Linney. I have tried that to no avail. I can't think of what Nero did when I installed it to screw up all my icons.

Do you have this problem in Safe Mode, or if you sign on with a different username?

Will System Restore get you back to before your icon trouble?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Thank You Linney! Your first link helped me. Here is what I did for anyone else who cares.
Go to Doug Knox's site, to the Win XP Fixes section. Click on File Association Fixes, then on ICO File Association Fix. Run that fix, then restart your computer.

Thank you Lenny!!! I've found a few items of interest in Doug's tweaks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back