Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Icons are gone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyds

MIS
Aug 17, 2001
US
Win 98se. Rec'd fatal exception in explorer.exe. On reboot, all desktop icons are gone. Ran Win98 setup again... still no icons. All programs appear to work through start menu. Explored desktop folder. All icons are there and working. Can't copy them to desktop.

If you goto the desktop, right click, select active desktop . Shoot I'm on ME, hoping it's similiar I cannot remember.

but when you select active desktop, on that menu that pops up there is a menu item that says show desktop icons. is it checked (if you have it)

On an open area of your DESKTOP, RIGHT CLICK
Select [PROPERTIES]
From the Desktop Properties, select {WEB} tab.
I have "View Desktop As Web Page" selected.
Then, you must also check the {EFFECTS} tab and make sure the "HIDE ICONS" is NOT checked.

Hope this helps!

also look in your windows\desktop folder and make sure their are shortcuts to the programs shown in there or the icons, if not you need to recreate them.

I tried all the active desktop angles. Nothing. I can't copy, paste, or move anything to the desktop. And all the icons are still in the windows\desktop folder.

Just as an update, all the icons are there in safe-mode.

Have you tried reg restore??
1. on boot press f8
2. at the c:/ prompt type the following line:
scanreg /restore (make sure there is a space between scan reg and the / )
3. hit enter, and choose a date listed before your error happened...
good luck, hope this helps

another thought:
in any folder click the "view" menu and then "folder options"
click the "view" tab and scroll down to the bottom of the window where it says "visual settings"
make sure the box to activate "hide icons when viewed as a webpage" is UNchecked

Try a search in the registry for an entry named NoDesktop. Right-click on it and choose delete.

reghakr

Try right clicking on a blank area of the desktop, select arrange icons, and then auto arrange and see if maybe they aren't just all off screen. You may have to do this a few times.

Hey

try changing the resolution of you're desktop to a greater size than the one already selected. The Icons may be off screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back