Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Firewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

jschweg

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2002
US
Gotta question concerning software desktop firewalls. Can anyone recommend a good server firewall which allows certain services to be let through on a port to port basis? I would just use tcp/ip filtering, but I need to have the option of a trusted subnet for unlimited access. Any recomendations?

I might be mistaken, but zonealarm does not allow inbound traffic by port does it?

It flags a program as a server. The pro version has some more features.. I don't know what though. iSeriesCodePoet
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

Hi,

Slightly going off track for a second.... I have installed Zone Alarm earlier today and had already been notified of 6 attempted attacks (3 hours!).

In the alert log it logs the IP address of the attempted attacker.

How is it possible to find out where this address originates ??? for personal enlightenment. I tried NSLOOKUP but that just converts IP to DNS name.

Thanks.

Carl.

[tt]iptables/netfilter[/tt] is the best firewall in my opinion. //Daniel

Not sure about free zonealarm, but ZA Pro allows full config of inconing and outgoing TCP and UDP ports as well as the general default configs. We have been using for about 3 months now and after the learning curve flattened out it works like a charm.

Carl,

Take a look at the advanced Subnet calculator (free) from SOLARWINDS, put in the IP and it gives you all the WHOIS info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back