Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop Faxing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike2838

IS-IT--Management
Jun 1, 2005
US
When trying to send a fax user is receiving the error code: Failed to send fax, any suggestions?

Mike,

I'm getting the same thing. I can fax to other CallPilot mailboxes, though. (When using the Fax Driver to print, you enter "m" followed by the mailbox number, i.e. m1628, and the fax gets delivered.)

This is 4.04.04.07, supposedly all the latest and greatest.

Any ideas from anyone? I'll keep looking into it and post back if I come across anything.

Thanks,
Matt

Are you using desktop messaging to send the faxes? Is the server set up with an FQDN for the Call Pilot? It sounds like something is not completely set up.

Yes, trying to send from My CallPilot, Outlook Express, or the Nortel Fax printer which allows you to fax from any application. My server is set up with an FQDN, and everything else seems to be working OK.

When sending to an internal recipient, My CallPilot creates an address of 1234567890@inpmwrocallpilot.mydomain.com (where 123456 is our VPIM shortcut and 7890 is the mailbox). When trying to send to an external fax, it creates FAX=914025551212@inpmwrocallpilot.mydomain.com. I did a network trace (watched the actual traffic). It's sending to the CallPilot server using SMTP, so everything is in plain text. When it sends to the internal recipient, everything goes through fine. When sending to the outside recipient, as soon as the server sees the destination address, it responds with a message about not being able to route messages to "inpmwrocallpilot.mydomain.com".

One thing I thought of today, and I don't know if it matters, but... The server name is CALLPILOT (the default), but the FQDN is "inpmwrocallpilot.mydomain.com". When setting it up, we tried to make the server name INPMWROCALLPILOT, but it was too long. Would the fact that the host part of the FQDN and the server name don't match make any difference? I looked through the documentation and didn't see any requirements that they match, but thought I would throw that out there just in case.

Thanks,
Matt

your FQDN for the callpilot, should be CALLPILOT.yourdomain.com; the names have to match.

I can understand needing to be the same, but does it have to be CALLPILOT? I'll have a hard time getting our network people to buy off on that, as the INPMWRO identifieds our office. It also wouldn't be unthinkable that another office would have a CallPilot in the future. Would MWROCALLPILOT work? I might have a better chance of getting that approved.

Thanks,
Matt

The computer name can be changed, this is not a problem. However, you also need to rerun the Call Pilot wizard to do this. Changing the computer name in "MY COMPUTER" won't do it in the Call Pilot system itself. It requires the wizard to be udpated too.

Thanks for the info. Our infrastructure team is creating the DNS entry and I'll try the rename today. Will post back with results.

Mike -- Do you by chance have a mismatched FQDN too?

Matching the server name with the host part of the FQDN did the trick! Both are now MWROCALLPILOT and we're happily faxing from our computers. If I could give you more than one star I would. Thanks for the help.

--Matt

I changed the fqdn to match in both places and still having problems. Can receive external faxes, cannot send internal or external. Any suggestions?

The VPIM is usually the other "gotcha" on that. Have you checked it? It should be 1NPANXX.

The problem turned out to be the customers Macafee had the port blocked.

thanks for all of yur help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back