Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

desktop background picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizardman1964

Technical User
Mar 17, 2009
US
Had someone ask me about a problem they are having with the Icons on their desktop. They changed the background scenery and their icons disappeared. They can't go to start menu. Is there a shortcut to get to control panel so they can change the picture? The only thing that is showing on the desktop is the picture they put there.

1. how did they change the wallpaper?
2. it sounds like EXPLORER.EXE died, [CTRL][ALT]&[DEL] to bring up the TASKMANAGER, there start a new PROCESS and type in EXPLORER.EXE to restart it...

then run a full scan of the FS and drive, e.g. CMD window type CHKDSK /F (/R), once done run SFC /SCANNOW (have XP CD at hand) to check systemfiles...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

You can type in command line or in the Run.. box: control panel and it will show.

Btw, you posted a link to the forum, not sure it you wanted to do something different.

Cheers,
Dian

Try Ctrl & Esc together to see if the start menu appears.

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Pressing the Windows Key will also bring up the Start Menu (if one exists). Maybe he can login from Safe Mode.

Maybe whomever changed the wallpaper also changed the screen resolution and the icons and Start Menu are beyond the physical screen boundaries, or the new wallpaper just may be too large to display completely with your current resolution.

Right mouse anywhere on the desktop, choose properties then select the Settings tab.

Restore the original wallpaper if you wish.

Otherwise if the screen resolution settings are low like 800x600 try to bump then up to a higher resolution.

sam

If Explorer.exe really did die out, then you can't really access the Start menu. If you can, then some vestige of explorer remains, and that is a good thing.
My 2 cents to this thread:
Remember this shortcut-> Ctrl-Shift-Esc
This will bring up the Task Manager and from there you can access the Run command and get explorer.exe running again.

Saved my bacon on too many occasions...

Ken

"cckens is a nick... why the H-E- double-hockey-sticks am I using a nick for a name? Am I afraid of who I am?"
-me
"...don't know why, but I think of chickens when I see that nick...maybe even choking chickens???"
-Tony (wahnula)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back