Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desktop and Folder Redirection Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

amb3rsil

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have a w2k network and all the users have folder redirection setup so different users have access to different apps through the start menu and desktops. This is set through group policy user settings. The problem is I have a multimedia machine with unique software only to that machine that I wish for everyone to use and therefore want a shortcut accessable to it from the start menu and the desktop. Obviously i can just place the icon in the folder redirected start menu and desktop, however this would then give everyone a shortcut on all the machines that wouldn't work. Does anyone know a way of just allowing one machine (not user, as this would be a bit easier!! I could just make a new policy) to have extra shortcuts placed in the start menu and desktop for just that specific machine?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Amb3rsil

Not sure if group policy will overwrite it anyway but you could try placing it in the all users profile on that one machine.
If its a w2k machine the path is:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
or for win95/8 it is:
C:\windows\profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

Hi,

yeah I tried that, group policy totally over rides this though :/ Any other ideas??

Cheers,

Amb3rsil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back