Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DeskJet 960c low-ink nag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnificat

Technical User
Apr 17, 2001
US
The software for my HP DeskJet 960c kindly lets me know when the ink is getting low in one of the cartridges. Unfortunately, it reminds me *every time I print* until the cartridges actually run out and I replace them, which may be a hundred pages later. This is MOST annoying! Since there's no "don't remind me anymore" checkbox or setting, has anyone figured out a way to disable the warning altogether?

1}Are you going through inks a lot?
2}Is there a lot of ink in the service station?
3}Print lot of color background?
Change where you buy your inks to see if you get longer life.
In case of #2, the print carriage may be faulty.

Well, thanks, but my ink cartridges last plenty long. The low ink warning, too, is working as designed; it does not warn before the ink is actually low. Nothing is malfunctioning at all. The problem is simply that the low-ink warning threshold comes long before the ink actually runs out, and the printer continues to warn me every time I print. The low ink warning is working exactly as it was designed to; I just find the default behavior of reminding me *every* time I print to be extremely annoying, and hoped there was some way to change this. I've pretty much assumed that there isn't, though, and as far as I'm concerned this thread can be dead. It's not really *that* hard to click "OK."

Just a comment for the "for what it's worth" bucket.
One of our maintenance people has wanted me to install one of my hp's without the toolkit stuff to try to deal with other issues. It hasn't been worth the time/trouble to me at the moment to figure out how to install the printer with just a driver but without all the extra toolkit stuff.

If this is enough of an annoyance to you to be worth the research time and to do with out other communication and maintenance features that come with the "full" package, you could look into that approach.

Drdebit.. To install just the driver, use the Add Printer Wizard > Have Disk and browse to the .inf file either on the CD that came with it (usually under English>Disk 1) or DL the driver from HP, extract it and browse to the .inf in there.
The tool box is nice but as mentioned before there may be issues with some software. Terminal Server for instance.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back