Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deskjet 5550 won't print for users

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefourthwall

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
US
Hello,

This is a new issue I have never seen before, it's got me baffled.

Installed an HP Deskjet 5550 printer for a user; it's a USB connection, and works normally when one is logged in with an account that has adminstrative privileges on the PC: a test page results in a blinking status/data light on the printer, and it prints. No problem.

When logged in with an account that has user rights on the PC however, printing a test page results in a blinking status/data light on the printer, but that's all: no print activity.

Have given full permission to Users to the Hewlett Packard folder under Program Files, have given full permission to Users at HKLM/Software/HP, and Full Permissions to Users on the printer, but nothing works ...

I'm lost and could use some help. Thanks!

I would think the port is the issue. Remove the USB ports, and ensure you use the 2.0 USB. Most boxes already have it, if not get a USB 2.0 card. Are you setting rights in the printer driver?

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

When I removed the HP software & deleted the driver, the USB virtual port (in File > Server Properties of the Printers and Faxes window) was removed also. If you mean the USB ports in Device Manager, no, I haven't done that, but your reply got me thinking in that direction - will let you know how it goes this morning, thanks.

Using Sysinternals' Process Monitor, found the culprit:
The Users group needed Write rights to the folder C:\Windows\temp, and the registry key HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print.

What a monster this was! Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back