Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desk top PC for red hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher777

Technical User
Dec 10, 2002
GB
Hi,

I wonder if you guys can help me as you gave me such great advice in the past.

I want to install Red hat on a Desk PC, firstly which version do I need to download? Also what kind of spec PC would I need, memory, CPU, Disk etc?

Many thanks

Is this for home or office use? Because Red Hat is not made for the home computer anymore.

However, Red Hat has another company called Fedora Core that is a free linux distro for home use. It can be found at:

Just to clarify a little:
Fedora Core is not a company owned by RedHat, it's
a community driven distro supported by RedHat.
The Core part of the Fedora Core name was dropped a couple
of years ago, so it's now just called Fedora.
Fedora 11 is due to be released in May this year.

Fedora is the "testing ground" for new stuff that
RedHat plans on integrating into it's RedHatEnterpriceLinux.
It is as such not the same as a standard RedHat distro.

If you want to test a stock RedHat distro then check out
CentOs it's RHEL repagaged without RedHat's branding,
and without the license fee that RedHat charges.

As for the system specs for a PC to put this on:
You should be able to install it on anything above
a PIII and 512MB RAM, but I would recommend a minimum
of 1GHz CPU and 1GB RAM.

HTH

Many thanks for all your repsonses, very helpfull. Red hat will be for company use, for us to install at other companies. We just want to get a feel for it for when we install it. What version would I need for testing on a PC for company use? I presume we have to pay for this aswell?

Thanks for the info on Fedora aswell, we may go down that root aswell but at the moment the company uses red hat.

Also I have a PC with windows installed, and a CD with red hat iso image on, does anyone have clear instructions on how to install Red hat from iso image on a desk top PC? Does the PC need to be wiped clean or can i install over the top?

many thanks

Red hat will be for company use, for us to install at other companies."
Shouldnt you be RH Certified to do this?

"What version would I need for testing on a PC for company use? I presume we have to pay for this aswell?"
CentOs as I ponited out if free, you can use it for testing.

"install Red hat from iso image"
You can't install an ISO-image, you need to burn in to another CD
as an "image". Here's how you do it with Nero:
The resulting CD can be used to install RH on your box.
You dont need to wipe the disk, you get that option during the install.

Depending on the version you have, there should actually be about 5 or 6 iso images. If they are burned correctly, they should look like a regular drive with files and directories. geirendre had some very good suggestions. If you plan on redistributing RHEL, then why not look into CentOS. It is identical but has Red Hat's branding removed as he stated. To get to you question about wiping the disk clean, there is no need. The installer will ask you if you want to just use the open space or the entire drive. Either way, it will create the linux partitions for you. For someone just learning it is best to just take the defaults. It will also ask you whether you want to install packages for a server or desktop. You can also choose custom and select any or all the packages.

To expand on RythmAce's comment, I'd say not only "why not look into CentOS", but "you *should* use CentOS or RHEL". Fedora is different than what you'll be installing for your customers.

If you are installing for testing purposes, I highly recommend installing in a virtual environment like VMWare or Parallels, etc.

The advantage is that you can install on a clean machine over and over again and have the host OS available for troubleshooting as you run into issues.

You can download VMWare player for free and many Linux VMs as appliances (so that you have a pre-built environment). But you will want a machine with at least 2GB of RAM if you go this route and want the VM to have access to 1GB of RAM.

You can also practice installation with SCSI or IDE disks, varying RAM, with network, without network, etc. because you can reconfigure the VM environment by editing flat text files.

And I second (or third) CentOS as a training ground for RHEL unless you already have purchased it. The installation and operation is identical except for the branding.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back