Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Designate a file extension in transfer text

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo6

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2006
US
I need to send a fixed width file daily to a bank. The file needs to have the filename 123456.afs

When exporting to a fixed width file in Access (I am using macros) it only allows my to name the output file with a .txt extension. How can I get it to allow me to name the exported file with the .afs extension?

Thanks for your help!

Use VBA and its Name ... As ... instruction.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I don't know VBA, can you give specific instructions?

I wanted to pass along this fix that I found that allows one to name exported text files with any extension that they chose.

Installing Microsoft Data Access Components MDAC 2.1.2.4202.3 (GA) and the Microsoft Jet 4.0 SP3 update adds the following registry key when a program loads the Text IISAM.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Text\DisabledExtensions

The Value data for the registry key is:

!txt,csv,tab,asc,htm,html

The "!" allows only those file extensions to be changed. If you add other extensions to the value list you can then name the file with thise extensions.

You'll also need to add the desired file extensions to this registry value as well.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Text\Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back