Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design SLP DA's or not 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarau

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2000
CH

Hello,
I have to design a WAN with 15 Servers.
The Headquarter has 100 Users, all other sides has 30-50 Users.
Each side has one NW5.1 server who is connected to
the headquarter with a 2Mbits link (or 256Kb).
I am not shure if I should design DA's or not.

If I do design multiple DA's so I increase partiton
synchronization traffic.

Who has a similar configuration?

Thanks for your help

werner

Werner, I've just been through agonies with a similar situation. There are so many TIDs, it's confusing.

I found a short article on the CoolSolutions site that led me to a fix. I have a 36 site WAN and used the "unscoped" scope for every site for 3 years with mixed results. I now have one named scope and one DA at the central site with all other sites pointing at it. I plan to write this up and post it later since it's so hard for us all to figure out.

Briefly, I copied the slp.cfg to sys:\etc in all the servers, set both scope and DA in DHCP to be pushed out to all clients, and also pointed the SLP to the DA in the Console Monitor. FINALLY, the network seems totally happy with all the services showing up.

Hope this helps. If not, the FAQ (ready in a few days) will give all the details with config files and screen shots to help us all get this thing working.

- Andrea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back