Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

design question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaift

Programmer
Jul 10, 2006
US
I am currently created a database that keeps track of measurements and notes about each product that this group makes. I have been asked to expand this database to their other products that are similar to the one that i have created so some fields may be the same. Since each of their products are similar but vary only by chemcials used and the way they produce the product they would like a database that comes to some sort of title page and from there they can click which products inventory they would like to see. So what theyre pretty much asking for is to have multiple databases in one file or a title page that could direct them to anyone they want.

Would it be best to make a file that just had references to the seperate databases or should i just create a new table from the same file with no relations being that each database has no relation to one another other than they have
measurements that are the same.

i.e. inner radius and outer radius.

The ever going question for a multi file or a multi table application....

When I see our (brief) requirements, I would go for a multi table, with a central 'menu' table to direct the user to every single part they need/want.

On the other hand, and I don't know how the structure within the company is, nor how 'big' the datawarehouse will be, it could be interesting to go on the separation road.
Depend how they will use the database.
If it is more research/consultation, I would put all the data in a separate file and the queries in an other, and show the results in portals and reportscreens.

The multi table approach will give you the ease of use of the already existing 'mechanic' parts of the database, like scripts and search. It's a matter of copy/paste with little tweaking.
The multi file will give you the ease of change, where you separate the engine from the data.

Bottom line, it depends from the use of the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back