Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design question. Should I use ODBC or is there something better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMac

Technical User
Apr 9, 2000
US
I have an access app that uses 2 linked tables that are linked via standard ODBC. I use a lot of linked servers in MS SQL and can create those dynamically on the fly. I would like to be able to create the most robust connection type possible given my need.

The use would look like this:

20 users each with their own copy of the Access DB locally, I will email it to them.
They are all in our company AD and physically located throughout the country.
The source server is in 1 location.
The app is currently linked to the 2 tables and there is a command button that pulls the relevant data down to their local DB from MS SQL.
MS SQL security is read only to all AD users.
I would be open to creating a generic user and hard coding the user pass for a connection
The users will download about once a week

Thanks for any advice and sample code

I would use pass-through queries to connect to the source server. You can use SQL authentication or hard-code a readonly login and password into the connection property of the p-t. If you want to be able to identify the connected users, it makes more sense to use NT Authenitication.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back