Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorajc

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
US
Not sure how to word this so I will just give you the problem. I have on a lot of my pages a menu much like the threadminder on this page. the problem I had was that one day someone decided they did not like something was worded and wanted it changed and I spent half a day changing all the links on all the pages. Well needless to say that stunk. I use to use frames but was told to change it. With frames I would have just had to change one page.

I heard there is way to do it with style sheets but do not have a clue where to start. I know how to use style sheets in general but not how I would use them to make so I could change a link and it would change it on all my pages. also is there another way to do it. I could do it using a scripting language but was hoping to avoid that if at all possible. AJ
I would lose my head if it wasn't attached. [roll1]

There is not a way to change the text of a link with css. you can change the appearance of the text, but not the text itself. Your other alternative would be to make a file which contains your list of links and include it, but that would require either SSI or JavaScript.

Rick

you could also use php to do some template-like pages.

or a wysiwig like GoLive. GoLive makes designing templates very, VERY, easy.

Dreamweaver also makes templating very easy, you change the template and it updates all the pages the template is linked too. Saves miles of time! Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

DaRNCat,

How would I do it with Dreamweaver? AJ
I would lose my head if it wasn't attached. [roll1]

Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..
[/]
rofl

Good one :)
-Tarwn ________________________________________________________________________________
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq333-2924

As RISTMO indicated SSI is the apt solution.
SSI - Server Side Includes.... !

Just create a page with all the links....
Then in all the pages where you have this left hand sided menu appears.. Just include this file.

Later changing that file makes changes on all pages.
Otherwise what you could do is, use Dreamweaver.

In Dreamweaver, just create the main page (like the page which you think will have almost all the elements same as in other pages). Then create the part which changes as an Editable region.

Then Open a New Page from a template and in this way all the pages have to be created from scratch.

I suggest that you use SSI files.

server side includes only work if you have that ability on your server.
Dreamweaver makes it pretty easy- create the page- save as a template (I suggest you save it as a straight html page too- just in case)
then select areas you want editable(different on every page- don't make editable anything you wish to be changed site-wide) and "modify-templates-create editable region"
when you wish to change all the pages you have created you alter the template, and update all linked pages.

the advantage SSI has over this is that you then don't have to go and upload every file you have just changed- which on a large site can number in the hundreads and cause all sorts of headaches.

Sometimes, when my code just won't behave, I take it outside and make it listen to britney spears music, and when it comes back it's really well behaved. I wonder if it's suffering from post tramatic stress syndrome now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back