Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

design help

Status
Not open for further replies.

njb

Programmer
Mar 17, 2000
US
I seem to have lost my brain today and cannot figure out how to do this. I have 2 tables, positions & tasks. There is a need to specify if a task is valid for a position. This is a many-to-many relationship creating a 3rd table of position & task & valid y/n. So far so good.

On a screen I need to show the task as the row, the position as the header and the valid y/n field as the intersection. The user needs to be able to update the y/n field. (They have different screens for adding positions and tasks). So, how do I do this? All of the cross-tab writeups reference a calculation as the intersection. And I don't need to add.

Anybody have an help for me? Tks.

Hi there

I've read and re read I hope I understand what you are trying to do

Are you trying to cycle thru the positions records - hence the headers - with tasks for each position being displayed beneath along with the validity Y/N
If thats the case maybe a subform would be more appropriate
linked on position, sourced by a query using the junction table.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick My apologies.

Regards
Jo

As I see it there are two views
From the viewpoint of Tasks you could have the main form showing the task such as "open heart surgery"
and below this a subform lising the positions and whether they are valid ie a check box. such as:
surgeon check
nurse empty
orderly empty
consultant doctor check

From the position view point, the main form is Position
and the subform is a list of tasks:
Position is "Nurse"
tasks are
change dressing check
take temperature check
set broken bones empty
open heart surgery empty If you want to be a bear: