Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design Change Not Taking

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMCCoder

Programmer
Aug 19, 2005
US
Hi,

I hoping someone can help me with a stupid question. I created a form, wrote some code for it, and got it to compile and work just fine. However, I wasn't happy with the design of the form, so I moved some elements around: a webbrowser and a panel. When I clicked on the "Start Debugging" button (the play button), my form compiled and then opened to exactly what it was before I made design changes. What gives?! I've looked around, but I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm migrating from VBA, so that might be part of the problem. But I'm stuck.

Any help?

Thanks,
Joseph

I moved some elements around: a webbrowser and a panel.

I believe that you do that manually (by dragging the control through the form). Make sure that there's no line in your code which put it back to its old location.

Hope this helps,
mansii

Sorry,

There's no code to move around the elements. On a whim, I went back and tried to modify a "Hello World" form. Still, when I moved the elements of the form around, the end result was the same as if I had done nothing at all.

Joseph

As anything can happen, I'd like to ask you a question...

is their Visible property set to TRUE ?

Mastakilla,

Yes, all of the controls' visible property were set to TRUE. Here's the wierd thing. I deleted a control, which caused my build to fail (a load function writes to that conrol). When I used the UNDO command to put it back, my form built properly with the changes made! Would using VB 2005 Express have anything to do with this?

Whenever I made changes to a form in VBA, the changes showed up immediately. So I don't understand what it was that I did to "fix" the problem.

Any thoughts?

Indeed.

Now, check the Build Configuration Property of the project. The default is in bin folder. Just to make sure, move it to somewhere else. Both in Release and Debug configuration.

Close the property windows then re-build the project.
Go to the target folder, then run the exe. See the result.

mansii

Indeed.

Now, check the Build Configuration Property of the project. The default is in bin folder. Just to make sure, move it to somewhere else. Both in Release and Debug configuration.
Also, open its configuration manager, and make sure the build option is checked.

Close the property windows then re-build the project.
Go to the target folder, then run the exe. See the result.

mansii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back