Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Design and layout advice needed for new program project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pghTech

Technical User
Jul 19, 2006
US
C++ Program: (Program description first, then question at the end - sorry for the long post, trying to be as descriptive as possible)
I am getting under way a program that will have a windows gui allowing a user
to be able to save programming code to a database. Finally, you can do a search by inputing the same fields such as title, or descriptive word in the description AND/OR selecting the combo boxes(listed below) to find any hits in the database and bring them up. There would be a window above the source code input Edit box that would list any search hits. Selecting the one they want from the list of search hits will bring up the source code in the same text box they would have used to input new code into the database. The opposite to load the source code would be to fill out the edit boxes, select options from combo boxes, and paste the source code in the edit box and hit "save" or "load" to load it into the database.

To be more specific, they input fields will be:

Edit Boxes
Title: - title of (i.e sort algorythm)
Description: - short desc of code
Text - actual source code

Combo Boxes
Language/Script -Drop down to choose what the source is from (C++, VB..ect)
Function/Class/Template -what the source code is

Miscellaneous field
Search hit window - not sure what control it would be in VS but would be like a
a edit box, with horizonal sections on top of each other
each containing a seach hit.

I am designing this in MFC as I don't have experience with a long list of API's
and I want to use C++ and not .NET or C#. I would like to create this program with the use of classes for the practice, but before redrawing up half a dozen approaches for how to design these classes, I wanted to find out from the community what their thoughts on a class(s) to hold this information, and move to and out of a database (I haven't come up with the db, maybe access for the time being). Also, what MFC classe(s) would be the best class to derive my classes from if any?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

No suggestions with all that information?

I wouldn't derive from any MFC classes. You can just as easily include MFC objects as members of your class. Then you won't be making every function in the MFC class a member of yours...

I'd separate the program into different classes for Input, Output, GUI...

Maybe if you describe the design you're thinking of, we can help you smooth out the rough spots instead of creating the whole design for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back