Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Desigining a DR solution with DS4800

Status
Not open for further replies.

polani

Instructor
Jun 4, 2003
CA
Guys

I have few questions in my mind while designing an ERVM based DR solution?

Scenario is:

Two 16 port switches on Production and two 16 ports switches on DR site ( brocade)

Two DS4800 boxes ( one at main and one at DR site)with ERVM

Question are:

1. Do i require full fabric and extended fabric licenses on switches ? Please explian the difference between two as well

2.DO i require Long wave SFPs as well? Distance between sites are 22 KM.How many LWSFP require on each siwtch?

3.Dark fiber already exist between two sites? Do i require any kind of speacail cables between patch panels ( on which dark fiber cable is already terminating ) to san switches on each site ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Here comes polani Once again!!!

P690 Certified Specailist
HACMP & AIX Certified Specailist
AIX & HACCMP Instructor

As I remember the licens for a 16 port Brocadde switch you just need a full fabric licens.
One of the features I remember from the extended licens is that you can bundle/channel several ports together.

What SFP's you need depend on your fibers, but since you say it is dark fiber you will need single mode SFP's

When you say you already have dark fiber between the sites, what do you mean by this?
If what you have is a raw fiber you just need SFP's that support that fiber and the distance you have.
But if what you have is dark fiber is sounds a little overkill for a distance of 22 KM.
Using STM you can go as far as 800 KM over a dark fiber without any repeaters.

The number of SFP's you need depend on what setup you want to have on your SAN

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back