Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

description on AS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddingediexpert

Programmer
Nov 7, 2002
US
I have been hearing off late many things about AS1 / AS2. Can anyone help me or give me a description of what exactly is this?? Also how is it different from VPN (an ftp through internet), as I have a feeling it is the same. Please correct me if I am wrong.

hi junglejimv,

thank you for your reply. it was a nice presentation, however how do i still decide on whether or not i should go for AS2. i already have an application running of HP-UX that connects to popular VAN's and major trading partners. however now many of them whom we talk to are talking about this AS2 and we are not sure how we would decide on whether or not we go for this AS2. for this we wanted a clear understanding on what is AS2 (which I get an impression from the presentation that it is a protocol), how is it different from VPN connection or a secure FTP over internet. have you done some analysis on the cost of AS2 clients from different providers (btrade, cleo etc)? if so can you provide me with them?

i thank all who have taken time in reading my concerns and for any efforts and help.
thanks and regards,
vijay.

I would like to have same information. For instance, Chrysler EBMX uses HTPP/s. why would AS2 be better than https?

Thank you!

ErikaZapata,

The main advantages I see in AS2 are the added security features (signed messages) and the message response capabilities of AS2 -- you should get back message acknowledgements indicating success/errors that you can match to your initial transmissions. This last feature gives your use of the free internet at least one of the advantages VANs provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back