Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Describe your Successful IP2004 Implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

naybag

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2005
US
Please describe your successful setup of connecting a IP2004 phone (from a remote office) to a BCM. We have 12 IP2004 sets in 12 different locations, wih varying results.

Any comments, advice, and experience is greatly appreciated. Also, I would appreciate knowing specifically what firewalls and/or VPN routers you all are using.

We have been trying to make this work with consumer grade DLink or Linksys VPN routers. Some offices work great, some offices work sporadically.

I am embarassed to admit that, No, we have not conducted a netcheck at each location. Are there any tools you can recommend for checking the networks?

Still looking for successful implementations.

are you going via the Internet? that could be it.

If it works at one location - then you know the 'trick'

Consumer grade is your answer.

I recommend a VPN Router 10X0 at the main site and either a VPN Router 1010 or a BSR222 at the remote sites. BSRs are cheaper, but the VPN Routers are simpler to configure tunnel to tunnel trafic.

I use Sonic Wall TZ 190 with the enhanced OS. I set the branch office VPN up using the wizard and all the defaults. My IP phones work flawlessly this way. I have about 4 users with IP phones at there home. The firewall at the home is a TZ 170 with normal OS. About 300 bucks.

Nooop, do you have tunnel's set up from each branch office to each branch office, as well?

My boss and I use IP phones remotely at our homes. We have a Linksys 8-port VPN router at the office. Our home PC's have a second NIC installed to plug the IP set into. The VPN connection I setup on both PC's is shared to the second NIC card. We both have fast DSL lines at home, and have a T1 that terminates on a Cisco IAD router at the office. This setup has worked well for both of us.

Brian Cox

What about not using a VPN and just putting the BCM in a DMZ or forwarding the ports to the BCM IP.

I have a VPN setup by others that is flaky and well so goes my phones. I have a spare static IP and want to get away from the VPN.

I put in a good router ahead of the BCM and I've opened up ports 7000, 28000-28255, 51000-51200 for the phones to register and talk and still nada!

I wouldn't recommend putting BCM in a DMZ. If your VPN is flaky, fix it.

To paraphrase ACEWARLOCK:

Why change the engine when all you need is a tune-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back