Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deployment Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtorres

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
I would like to know of an easy way to deploy Windows Updates once a new Windows XP machine is joined to my domain.

I am currently using RIS to deploy XP and applications to my clients and when the machine is joined to the domain I want it to have the latest patches and updates installed. I used the q-chain method and that worked for some of the updates and patches but a lot of them required user inputs even though the correct switches were used. I need this to happen fully automated and I am almost there.

I was thinking about rolling out a SUS server and have the machine update itself from that once its joined to the domain.

Please let me know what solution you are using. I am looking into ghost and have used it before, but the idea of always having to keep an image up-to-date seems like it could be annoying.

Thank You

"D

We have deployed SUS here in my company and have had great success with it. Once you setup your server, you apply the settings to the clients through AD. The only problem we have found is certain updates will not deploy from SUS - for example when a new version of IE comes (not just a security patch or update) out you have to update it by deploying a custom MSI package to the clients... other than that it works great. Make sure you have some way of verifing that the clients are receiving the updates with Microsofts MBSA tool or we like to use GFI Languard to scan the clients. By the way - we have 5 locations spread out across the US with over 800 Clients. So it does work well when properly implimented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back