Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deployment problem with Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

wabeers

Programmer
Dec 3, 2001
US
Read
Reply To
This Thread

E-mail It

Print It
Next
Thread

wabeers (Programmer)
Sep 4, 2002

When I try to install a Visual Basic 6.0 application I developed on a customers PC that has Windows 2000 it will go through the 1st part of the installation prompting the user that it will replace a couple of system files and then asks to reboot the system. After rebooting the system and I run SETUP again it starts over and will not proceed past the replacing of the system files. So the application never gets installed. Is there anything I can do to install the application on Windows 2000. I installs just fine on Windows 95/98/XP.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

This is caused by a Microsoft "feature" called Windows File Protection. It restores any system file overwritten by an application installation program to the version installed via the original OS install/Service Pack/HotFix. Hence the continual reboot--the installation installs, and the WPF restores...

You'll have to make sure the production machine has the same servicePacks and/or Hot fixes installed as the development machine and the install will not attempt to update the "out of date" system file.

Description of WFP here:

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back