Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deployment issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjoubert

Programmer
Oct 2, 2003
US
I have a thick VB.NET 2005 application that I am trying to deploy. The application uses Crystal Reports, so I had VS create the MSI to install "Crystal Reports for the .NET Framework 2.0". I installed the .NET Framework 2.0 and Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 2.0 on the target PC. I then copied my EXE to the client and attempted to run. Everything was fine until it tried to run a report. Then I was presented with the following error...

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument' threw an exception. -->
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {11BD5260-15B6-412D-80DB-12BB60B8FE50} failed due to the following error: 80040154. at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument..cctor()

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance...

I'm going to try creating a setup project to deploy my application. I will give that a go tomorrow morning...I'm hoping that will solve this problem.

Ok, the Setup project didn't help anything. I had posed a question several weeks ago, asking if the Crystal Reports runtime installation required admin privileges. I was told that it shouldn't, but I'm beginning to think that it does require such privileges. Can anyone verify this?

I do not know the specifics of 2.0 app installation. But in framework 1, in order to deploy CR you need to include merge modules. The modules vary on the version of CR you are deploying, they are availble from the CR website. And yes, you will likely need admin rights on the PC.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

I believe this error is actually that the dll's on the macchine do not match the dll's in the application. Try changing your Crystall Dll's to Copy Local = True.

Someone with local admin rights installed it for me, and everything works fine now. So it is apparent that admin rights are in fact necessary to install the crystal reports for .NET runtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back