Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying webapp tomcat 6 !PLEASE HELP ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanzero

Programmer
May 3, 2007
EU
Hello everybody

I am now begging for someone to help me...when did I last post? since then I have been trying EVERYDAY to get this to work. If I dont find the answer soon I am going to go mental! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME????? PLEASE!!!!!

All I want to know is how do I take the files of my web app and add them to tomcat? If I were developing a web app with php I would simply write the code and copy it into my web home and bosha have that! How do I do a similar thing in tomcat?

I did manage to get Netbeans to deploy a webapp for me on my laptop. I then used this as an example for how I should organize my files within tomcat. I then tried to copy what Netbeans had done for my desktop but it did not work.

To prove that I did not need Netbeans in order to deploy the app I went back to my laptop. I changed the name of the app as Netbeans deployed it and the location of the app files. In changing the name I edited web.xml in the Netbeans project folder for my app. To move the files I edited the relavent XML file in /usr/local/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost and moved the app files from my projects folder to another location. This worked. I feel this proves that one can deploy an application manually. But, as I said already, when I tried to re-create the same folders and the same XML files on my desktop it did not work.

It cant be that hard to add files to tomcat. I dont want to use Netbeans...I think its bad practice to rely on an IDE to do stuff for us. I want to be able to understand how to do this manually...what if the next time I am asked to work with tomcat Netbeans (or any IDE) is not available?

Again PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE with cherries on top and lots of ice cream someone help me before I go mad. I would just like a simple step by step tutorial that says do this and then do that...bla bla bla and then load up a browser type in name and there you go.

Thanks for your time (really really lots and lots of thanks)
Andrew

PS you may want to refer to my last post for more details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back