Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying SP2 Via CD Unattended 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carboloy

MIS
Jun 24, 2002
US
We have users on the road who want XP SP2, they currently have XP Sp1. Our decision is to send them CD's that contain
the upgrade. What I would like is to have no user intervention during the upgrade. I would also like to setup pre-definied firewall settings and popupblocker settings that would normally appear after a reboot. I extracted the XPSP2.exe file, now can I modify certain files with these settings then burn the CD? I don't think a Windows slipstream install is neccesary is it? Any help would be great..

Thank you

I was having similar problems trying to disable many of the new features with little luck. I could not get it to run so it would use my unnattend file and apply my changes. I had to resort to sloppy batch scripts. But for what you want to do it's fairly easy. First, if you haven't already, check out this doc on MS's site about the Windows Firewall INF File:

Now, extract the netfw.in_ from the installation files from either the ip or ic folder to netfw.inf. Make the changes you want by using the above mentioned guide. Then use makecab to put the file back with the installation files (not sure the difference between ic and ip, so I put it in both to be safe).

Once you create your custom netfw.inf file, have them run the SP with update /passive and it will install with no user interaction and even restart by itself.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to modify the pop-up blocker like this. My company wants it disabled, so I came up with a lame batch file that changes a registry key (essentially changing a local policy) that disables the pop-up completely.

Hopefully this made sense and is helpful.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back