Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying software through Win2K GPO 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

primate

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
GB
Hi,

I am trying to automate installation of Acrobat 6.0 using Group Policy. The client machines are WinXP Pro.

I have created an .msi package using WinInstall LE and then deployed the package via a GPO under user config.

When the software installation is invoked on a client machine, the installation appears to run through fine, it even comfirms this in Event viewer. However whenever I try to open Acrobat it crashes and also Acrobat doesn't appear to have registered itself since the .pdf extension isn't associated with Acrobat.

Does anyone have any experience or tips with this that I can try?

BTW, I am new to using this feature of Windows, the only package I have deployed succesfully was WinXP SP1 using the .msi file that MS provides in the extracted SP files which I assigned to computers rather than users.

I didn't get it to work either. I will flag this thread hoping there is a trick to it.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

I too got nothing but a headache trying to achieve this. I stumbled upon a thread on the support forums @ ondemandsoftware's website (the creators of WinInstall) you can use this msi package for Adobe 6 Reader

The source of this file is from the makers of WinInstall website. I have tested it in my lab, and it works.

----------------------
"Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your sig and help me take over the world."

Woot.. an MSI package... that deserves a star!

I had read that removing all the exclusion from the registry during the packaging works...

I did it with Acrobat Full version 5.0 and it worked!

My next step was to attempt this with v6.0 Reader, but an MSI is MUCH better!! no work! hehe.

Yeah I tried several times and the majority of the time I received some very interesting results. 1 example was: we like to have a clean desktop so I went through the discovery process, removed many exclusions, did machine exclusions, etc. When it was time for the packages creation I simply removed the desktop shortcut from the msi package. Boy was that a bad idea... It broke the software, Adobe wouldn't load instead it gave exception errors. LOL

----------------------
"Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your sig and help me take over the world."

Well, there is a good solution on this link:

Basically remove all the custom actions and insert the decoded serial in the registry.

I am still testing the functionalities of the program with this type of installation, but it looks like it installs nicely.

Sorry guys, not a good method. Lot of functionality failed.

I just stumbled on this and it's the best "FREE" solution I found yet.

One of the main problems with WinInstall 2003 LE is that it's horrible with patches and certain softwares, like NAV and Adobe stuff....

Well, This little wrapper software solved my problem for ALL patches and MDAC installation so far:

It's basically an MSI wrapper that allows you to launch a command from the MSI. For MDAC, you just need to decompress the package and add: DASETUP.EXE /Q /N in the Wrapper MSI software and that's it! Then you assign it and it installs itself on assigned computers!

Since alot of patches uses DASETUP and similar installation softwares, then all these patches will be able to use the same process.

I hope you guys find this tool as usefull as I did.

Right, Adobe Acrobat has a lot of custom actions built in to avoid automatic silent installation.

You need to delete two of the them, CA_QV and UnSupportedInstallType. Both has something like "cancel installation" in them.

For the serial you need to install the package manually, get the converted serial from the registry, HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Distiller\6.0\registration\serial and HKLM\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\6.0\registration\serial, and and put that back in your msi.

The package still needs the mst.

The package will only install Per machine, not Per user, but will install through Active Directory.

Enjoy

If you read the first link I posted, it explains how to install Adobe Full version with a setup file.

There are some hidden commands. Basically, here is the post:

run the setup with the following commands:

setup /a /r /f1c:\acrobat.iss

Complete the installation manually. When you are finished, the installer will write the c:\acrobat.iss answer file. Copy this file and the package itself to example: Z:\packages.

Then, to perform unattended installations, run:

setup.exe /a /s /sms /f1Z:\packages\acrobat.iss

By removing the /s, you will be able to remove the silent mode.

I then took thw WWIV wrapper and created a small MSI that launches the command line...

So far, v5.0 worked great and I'm currently doing the same thing on the path to v5.0.5.

(I'll tackle v6.0 when I get my copy)

UPDATE.

I found out that this command in the previous post, is the standard command for InstallShield packaged software. In other words, you can create an answer file for any software that was packaged with InstallShield.

Installshield has always been equipped with the silent install option and the option to build your own answer file.

What this thread was directing was creating a MSI-package of the Adobe Acrobat to use with GPO distribution.

It is true you can build msi-wrappers for .exe installations, and I have used it myself for Media Player, Internet Explorer and Hotfixes.
The problem with an Msi wrapper for Adobe Acrobat is that the installation is an msi itself.
If you create a wrapper for an msi installation (It can be done!), you will end up with problems.

Yes I agree, although the MSI given works for Acrobat Reader, it does not work for the Full version, and I posted a way to install the Full version also... which I was following up on.

Hi ReddLefty
In my oct 8 I described how you can fiddle with the manufacturer-provided msi to give you the option to create a silent installation of Adobe Acrobat 6 Standard or Professional to use with GPO distribution
The Reader works as it is.

I took the easier route. I simply edited the ABCPY.INI file, added NO to all the dialog popups, added the key and the username to the appropriate files and SETUP.EXE is then automatic. If you want silent, simply add setup.exe /s .. so I used the wrapper to simply launch SETUP.EXE /s . The program shows up in Add / Remove Programs and I told the MSI not to show itself in the ARP.

Although your solution is also good, I've managed to install Acrobat using discovers on several occasions, but the printers (Distiller and PDFWriter) never installed properly. They would show up, but they would give errors when trying to edit the properties or print to it.

So far, the way I have it now, it runs the full setup. There IS one drawback by my method that I'm trying to work out, the MSI will end yet the installation will continue in the background since it's an external command.. in other words, the MSI does not wait for the pacakge to end and passes to the next one (when deploying with GPOs).. which can cause problems if your patching that particular software.

EDIT-

I meant add key and the username to the appropirate FIELDS.. not files.. hehe.

Ok, Mate, I must have misunderstood your solution.
I ll certainly give it a go. Sounds interesting.

THis may be of some use to you...?? Well for acrobat reader 6.0 anyway... :)

Have you ever tried just using the .msi included with acrobat reader 6.0? Although you run the .exe. When it uncompiles itself to a "temporary" directory it includes the .msi and other files for the installation.

Its normally the localsettings folder in the user profile, and you need to copy it BEFORE you close the "Acrobatreader Installation" because it removes it on exit.

Hope it helps?
James

I'm still looking or something that works with v6.0. They have stripped the commands from the current Acrobat Standard or Pro v6.0 so you cannot do the above procedure I mentionned.

I'm currently looking myself for an answer and so far it does not look promising. I'm even seriously considering GNU GhostScript instead of Adobe Acrobat... but who knows if I can package that too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back