Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying Office 2003 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanbloom

Technical User
Apr 22, 2005
GB
I have tried to deploy Office 2003 via Group Policy to a room of XP and 2K machines but I am having problems getting it to work on the Win 2K machines.

I've followed guidance from the Knowledge base on installing Office and Assigned the Pro11.msi in both Machine and User sections of Group Policy. At the moment, it's not actually applying the transforms, however, Office does install on all the XP machines. On Win2K I get:

"Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid."

I've looked at \FILES\OWC11\Setup.ini and \FILES\SETUP\Setup.ini and made sure that the paths to the MST files are correct. Also added in a chained install command into them.

There is probably some big step I've accidentally missed out but is there anything obvious I should try?

Thanks for any help at all!

I've never deployed Office 2k3 using the .ini file i've always specified the .mst in group policy. When you add the .msi to the deployment list an option box appears titled 'Deploy Software' with the options Assigned or Advanced i select advanced option then in the next box select the 'Modifications' tab and add the .mst there.

This works for me on 2k and XP clients.

Oh this is for computer deployment i've not tried this when deploying to users which i find a bit hit and miss anyway.

I see - well, I've created the MST file and used that in the Modifications tab. I'll remove the assignment from the User software section in the GP and report back to see if it will work :-s

Hi there

No, the removal of software deployment under User section in GP hasn't worked. I've got no idea what the problem is but none of the Windows 2k machines will run Office because of this error in Transforms :-s

What is the MST error can you provide more detail?

It might be worth running the custom installation wizard again and trying fewer setting to see if you can isolate the setting that is causing the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back