Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying McAfee Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeaden

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
US
I am working on deploying McAfee firewall to our laptops. I am still having a problem where I need to reboot 2 times to get the firewall policies to be recognized.

Is anyone else dealing with this? Does anyone know how to deploy the policies with the installation?

I am not using ePo to deploy because I need to uninstall Black Ice first. The other problem I have is that I don't have laptops in a separate container. If deploying using ePo works better I can create a separate laptop container. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aeaden

I too are having a similar problem, Problem I'm having is that I have to reboot every time to have the new policy enforced, For example.

New laptop, agent and VSE8.0i deployed via our bespoke package installer, deployed the DFW8.5 via the console and changed a policy, say disable the firewall, the policy is not taken by the client although the log and console say it is disabled. The Interface doesn't update, only with a reboot will it change.

Funny enough have possibley traced it to Our VSE8.0i package created with the Installation designer. Currently I'm investigating what may be the problem with it.

I have tested with the RAW Agent and VSE8.0i packages as supplied by McAfee which seem to work, also have tested with deploying them all via EPO which work.

Hope this helps

Gary

Hi Gary,

Well here is what is happenning with me now. I created a firewall package with Installation designer and customized the firewall policy making sure I had everything I needed to boot. When I deploy it using ePo, it seems to work fine.

I tried installing the same EXE just by double clicking it and something strange happenned. After a short while, the firewall seemed to uninstall itself. I had no uninstall task setup. When I checked the logs I verified that it was not an uninstall task doing it. I am currently working with McAfee to see what the deal is.

If you have anything you want me to mention to them, post it here. I have an appointment to talk to a tier 3 guy in 2 hours, that's 10am EST.

Aeaden

Hi Aeaden

I have had a call open with Tier three/Developemnt for nearly two months now, and were still no closer.

Gary

I spoke to a senior McAfee Engineer today who admitted that this is a known issue with the install. The policies don't always get applied straight away and they recommend a reboot, however that doesn't work for me.

I have without Mcafee's help identified the problem, We have appsdata re-directed to a Network personal drive, With this in place it cause's that User interface of the DFW not to update.
I told The dev Guy and the Tier three support person over 3 weeks agao of this porblem but haven't heard a peep out of them.
Very poor.

One thing that has worked very well for me has been to create a new install using McAfee Installation Designer 8.10

I created a new install of the firewall, which allowed me to create a policy that it is installed with. This works extremely well. All of my firewall issues have been solved.

Aeaden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back