Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying many secondary sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrGryphon

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
AU
Hi, I have an SMS site and a secondary that are working very well. We are wanting to deploy SMS secondary sites to 130 additional locations. However, I do not want to push all those large packages over the slow network.

I have looked at the Package loader from the sms toolkit. I copy the .pck file to the correct location and run the tool. It says that the path to the package has been added and the replication up the hierarchy has been done. Everything looks good. However, no uncompressed copy of the package ever appears in smspkge$. If I add the new distribution point to the package at the primary then it recopies the whole package and overwrites the one that was already there! (but at least I get an uncompressed copy too :)

How is this thing supposed to work? The documentation is very vague. Am I supposed to even add that distribution point? If not, is the tool supposed to initiate a despool of the files into the smspkge$ folder?

I'm really unimpressed Microsoft, not even a kb article on this utility, just one page in a help file.

Is there a better way to do this?

The original Citrix Guru...

The only way I've been able to get this to work is to copy the compressed .pck file into smspkg *and* the uncompressed version into smspkge$ (or whatever). Then, when I add the distribution point to the package the .pck file does not re-copy, but it does still despool and overwrite the uncompressed copy.

If I don't also copy the uncompressed folder in smspkge$ then the .pck file is re-transmitted over the network and then decompressed (I have verified this with network monitoring and have consistently shown it to be the case in my lab).

I can live with it, but the documentation mentions nothing of it. I can't help but feel there's a bug here somewhere.

The original Citrix Guru...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back