Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploying a program

Status
Not open for further replies.

H00pscoach

Instructor
Jul 18, 2003
US
I am trying to find a way to deploy programs across the network from the server. I have about 110 PC and it takes sometime to go to each one to do a deployment of new software. Is there a way that I can setup Windows 2000 server to do the deployment at night or even post an install package so the inuser can do the install at start up?

Thanks

We use group policy to distribute MSI files to our machines and it works fine for out 140 stations.

You can set them to install on boot up or by file asociation.

apedescendant

That is great. I have been playing around with the group policy and I will try to look up how to set up the MSI and I will also look at the SMS that RuSSkIy sudjested. If you have any more ideas about this just please pass them on. I have 2 1/2 weeks to figure all this out.

Thanks again

marcs41

Great sites.

what do you do when you have a program that you want to deploy but does not have an .MSI?

You can create an MSI for the program. I believe one of the support tools will do this. You must have a test computer with just the OS installed and no other programs to create the MSI. The program was written by veritas and distributed with 2000. I believe it's called wininstall le.
Windows help also gives you other alternatives to programs that don't come with an MSI.

There is also MSI packaging software out there you can evaluate. I use AdminStudio and am very pleased with it.

WinInstall LE is free and on the Windows 2000 cd this can be used to create MSI's, but i highly recommend WinInstall LE 2003 it's still free and can be downloaded from it's a great piece of software.

As for SMS that is also very good but you have to pay for it whereas group policy is built in and Wininstall is free. Also i noticed that your an instructor so all of these fit with the Microsoft curriculum if you are delivering their Win2k courses.

You don't really need an MSI to rollout apps. , but you may need to do some part manually. Set up a test PC, and experiment.

I have gotten some great Info and I will be playing around with the Group Policy more on monday when the school is close for Christmas break.

I would like to thank all of you for your Help. It is great to know that people are out there willing to help these days.

thanks again.

Great Forum

apedescendant

I wish I could but this is the time of year when I can get stuff done that I need done. Things that I put aside. I have 4 servers and 110 PC that I need to clean up and do some updates on servers. Sounds fun right?????

Make it fun! Dress up like Santa Klaus or so while working on it ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back