Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploy Addin for Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDA

Technical User
Jan 16, 2001
US
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way to deploy an Addin for Excel. I have an Addin that I need to install in a specific location for every user many of which are NOT connected to the network. Is there some sort of deployment or Executable I can create that will install this addin for the users?

Thanks,

MDA

If the Add in is a regular XLA file, you should nott need a special installer. Just distribute the file via a floppy disc or whatever, and have your users follow these steps :

In Excel
Code:
   1 Goto Tools, Add-Ins

2 Select Browse

3 Locate the xla file

4 Click on Yes when prompted to copy 
     the file to MS Excel Add-In Library.

That should install the add in on each users PC.

A.C.

Thanks A.C, but the thing is that I need to install to a specific location for every user. By default, Excel will place the addin under profiles but I need the addin to go to a certain directory. I have found that with the ~1000 users that need to use this, the support will be ridiculous. It never amazes me when I see such simple tasks turn out to be a huge event for certain users.

In addition, there is a DLL that must be places in a special folder and registered for this addin to work properly.

Thanks,

MIKE

Call me old-fashioned, but I like to use batch files for this kind of thing
Alternatively, you could send out a self-extracting zip file
either way would be fairly simple fro the recipient, i think

Killian

Thanks for the feedback on my question... After more research I found that Micorosft has a VB template available that does what I am looking for...

It can be found at:

You have to own the Office 2000 Developer CD and can be found in:

ODETools\V9\Samples\OPG\Samples\CH02\CustomInstaller subfolder on the Office 2000 Developer CD-ROM.

Thanks again..

MDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back