Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dependency Walker, ieshims.dll, and oleaut32.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAunion

Programmer
Nov 30, 2010
US
When I try to launch a particular exe on my 64-bit Win7 machine, the following error message appears immediately:

Component ‘capturent.ocx’ or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

1) When I open capturent.ocx in Dependency Walker, it shows an “error opening file. The system cannot find the file specified (2)” for ieshims.dll.
However, I can find the file. In fact, there are 2 copies of it -- ieshims.dll -- on my HD: one is in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ and the other is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\.

I am completely unsure, but I believe this may not be an actual error, but may be due to ieshims.dll being a delayed load file (or something like that), so Dependency Walker incorrectly reports it as missing. Any one know anything about this?

2) The other main possibility for the capturent.ocx error is that Dependency Walker shows it has a dependency on oleaut32.dll, and that is one of the files that fails to self-register during installing on the 64-bit Win7 machine: I get the following error during the install.

The following files did not self-register or unregister:
C:\windows\Sys2Wow64\OLEAUT32.DLL
Access is denied
C:\windows\SysWow64\STDOLE2.TLB
Error Accessing the OLE Registry

NOTE: The install works on my 32-bit WinXP VM; and the installed program runs also. So this seems to be an issue related to using a 64-bit OS.

I tried manually registering the .dll file and regsvr32.exe reported success, but the same problem with capturent.ocx persists.

Any help on how to get the above to files properly setup on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back