Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dependency of Exchange server on another machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arjin

Technical User
Jul 30, 2003
TR
hi,
i am new to MS world, and thereby to the MS Exchange.

my problem is as follows:
in our LAN, we have two servers, lets call them 01 and 02. 01 is used as internal domain controller and 02 plays the gate to the outside (internal network is dhcp controlled, by the way). on 02 is running Exchange 2000, and this is somehow dependent on 01. i want to replace 01 with a new machine; however, when i shut 01 down Exchange on 02 gets out of service. i try to figure out the dependency of 02 about Exchange on 01, but as i have said, i am new to Exchange and this is not an easy task for me.

would you please suggest some clues about what this dependency can be?

thanx in advance,

ps. Active Directory is installed on both servers.

Im wondering what service pack for exchange you have installed. MS Admitted defeat and totally re-wrote the diectory access components of exchange with SP2 and above. If you have no service pack or sp1, its possible your exchange server still only knows about dc "01"

- sp3 is installed.

do you mean that i have to delete "01" from the domain controllers list in the ad users and computers on "02"?

No, If you have installed sp3 then the directory access has been upgraded and would have performed discovery again.

Hang on a mo, You have AD on 02, but have you made it a global catalogue server?

I may be wrong, but the way I read the post..is 01 the only DC? If it is, when you shut it down you will lose access to 02, because you have just chopped off AD's head. Plus 01 is probably running your internal DNS ergo even if 02 is a DC you will lose contact when 01 is down unless 02 is acting as a secondary DNS. Basically, you need to build the new w2k server, add it as a dc. After full replication you'll have to transfer the master roles from 01 to the new server. The link below may help. Good luck.

thanks for your interest.

- i built a new w2k server, 03, and add it as a dc. after that, i tried to remove 01 from the system; but it was an unsuccessful trial. the method i applied is as in the article:

but i got an error message as such: "DsRemoveDsServerW error 0x2094(The DSA object cannot be deleted.)"

i thougt i could not configure the new dc server properly. by the way, what is the way i can make the new server a global catalogue server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back