Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DEP keeps popping up intermittent and closes explorer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hello Everyone,I have a weird problem.I boot up windows xp pro sp2,all is well,I go in and out of a directory's,look at a few files,right click,left click,just jump around a few different places,don't even go on the internet,and all of a sudden a box pops up saying (Data Execution Prevention must close explorer)I say OK,do not send to Microsoft,desktop reloads and it's OK until the next time it does it again.
I've ran PC-Cillin virus scan,housecall scan in safe mode,and it comes up with nothing.xoftspySE 4.33 spyware nothing.Tried turning of DEP for explorer still does it.Driving me crazy,Can someone Help Please??Thankyou in Advance.

Sounds like something may be corrupt...

I would start with running CHKDSK /R (/F) on your root drive...

once that is complete, run SFC /SCANNOW (have your XP CD handy), this will check the system files for corruption...

just to be on the safe side (what malware is concerned), I suggest you DL MBAM (MalwareBytes AntiMalware) and run a scan, it finds critters that others overlook...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

ok,do I run these 3 things in safe mode or in windows run command? I've ran chkdsk /r /f in windows run command,rebooted and ran all 5 steps no problems found.I've run SFC /SCANNOW in windows run command,had the original cd in and had to click ok several times during the scan,wanting to know if I had the CD in the drive,that all went to the end with nothing else showing up.Ran this DL MBAM (MalwareBytes AntiMalware)program in windows and no problems either.Now what? Man always something,don't seem to be able to find any spyware or virus problems.

thankyou Ben,didn't run the program above just installed it,Now I ran the(MalwareBytes AntiMalware)finally,and it look like it fixed the problem.found 8 Trojans in the windows\restore section.Ran again with windows restore on c drive disabled.seems clean now,reactivated restore on c drive again.thankyou very much for the help.

the problems where 4-(Trojan.FakeAlert)2- (Trojan.Agent) and 2-(Trojan.Autorun) all in system volume information restore section. Thankyou Again,5 Stars!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back