Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deny WAN but allow LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

techat21st

Technical User
Mar 17, 2022
US
I have a computer I'd like to leave on 24x7 to use as a print server. I'd like that computer to have LAN access but not WAN access. I have a TP-Link AC1700 Archer C7 that the computer is using WI-FI to communicate with other computers in the house. I guess I'm more concerned about a hacker breaking through my firewall than anything really. My other devices are only on when I'm using them. This router is older so I don't have a lot of confidence in the firmware protecting me since the last firmware update from the manufacturer is dated 2017. Appreciate your help and insights.

You can set a static ip address for the PC and NOT put in a default gateway setting. That will "disable" internet. Or if your router supported it, you could list the MAC and it could block internet for the device.

I think you miss two important points. It is MORE important to have a newer router with firmware updates to protect your whole network than isolating one PC from the internet. And because an infection or hack into one of the other PCs with internet access can infect the other machine that does NOT have internet access very easily.

You are not really solving a problem with what you're asking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back