Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demoting the Global Catalog server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grebnetso

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2005
US
I plan on demoting my GC so I can rebuild the server. I did a quick test on my domain and shutdown the server in order to make sure that my secondary DC would take over all the functions of the primary. During this test I started having difficulties connecting to my exchange. I was able to still connect to the domain and log in but access to my exchange servers was down. I checked the Directory access and it had my GC listed while it was on and the other DC listed when the GC was off. As far as I've been told when you shutdown a Domain Controller the other DC is supposed to take over the GC's role 5 minutes afterwards. Is there something else I need to do to make sure this happens? Thanks.

You're going to have to transfer the FSMO roles to the other server.

Yes the FSMO will have to be transferred for the rebuild. However the FSMO roles are independant to Exchange's need for a GC, might be worth checking your DNS settings in order that the Exchange box can successfully contact the second GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back