Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demoting NT 4 PDC and BDC to Promote Windows 2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
Anyone have any hints or links to sites that can help explain how to demote an NT4 PDC and NT4 BDC and promote the Windows 2003 server to DC? I want to preserve all the user accounts on the old servers and migrate them to the new one. But I am a bit rusty at this and need some advice or links. THANKS!

James Collins
Systems Analyst
A+, MCP, MCSA, Network+

Here are some things to check out:

Upgrading to 2000/2003 from NT

Migrating from NT to 2003 from Microsoft
Go to IN the top left corner, search for
"Migrating Windows NT Server 4.0"
The first link will be a word document that explains in more detail than the FAQ above.

Good luck,

Hi butchrecon,

I have done this in the past and it went something like this...

1. Setup an old NT 4.0 server as a BDC on domain. Install SP6a and promote to PDC this in turn will demote your existing PDC to a BDC. When server is synchronised. Next step.
2. Upgrade the new PDC server to be Windows 2003 (windows 2000 mixed mode) and setup active directory and dns.
3. Install new server, join to domain as a DC. Transfer all FSMO roles from upgraded PDC now running server 2003 as a DC to new server then demote old server and remove from the network.
5. Demote existing NT 4.0 BDC to stand alone server using the best tool in the world Upromote.
9. If not required turn off existing old domain BDC (backup).
10. Raise domain functionality to 2003
11. Domain rename on server if required.
12. Turn on and off all computers so they pick up the new domain name.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back