Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demoting a Domain Controller that Doesn't exist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasdrury

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2001
GB
Hi

I have a windows 2000 active directory domain, and had a backup server called BACKUP and it died recently - everything broken. Now, the other server is still got it listed on its Sites and Services, and I want to delete it but can't If i do it from Sites and Services is says the DSA object cannot be removed and if i use that metacleanup in CMD prompt, it can't connect to the domain controller I want to remove becuase it isn't physically there!

Hope this makes sense

Chaz

Hi ya Chaz,

All the NTDSUtil stuff is fine and dandy, but it wouldn't allow me to fully delete my orphaned domain controller from my active directory. It still showed up in the MMC as being a domain controller, and when I tried to delete it from the MMC it'd always complain about 'unable to delete DSA objects' or whatever. Found an answer to this problem at:

You have to tweak its computer account attribute then it will allow you to delete it from the MMC.

Hope it helps!

Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back