Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demoting a Domain Controller - Error with Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyis4dcats

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
We are trying to demote a domain controller in relation to my post about Problems with DB2 and Domain Controller. My IT Consultant is getting an error message saying that Administrator does not have access and to use an account with Enterprise Rights. The Admin account DOES have full Enterprise rights, so does anyone know what the issue might be?

This is on Win200 Advanced Server and the other server/domain controller is Win2000 Server.

Sounds like your IT Consultant doesn't know what he's doing...Just kidding.

Here's a couple things to try:

1- Note: after your remove the domain, make sure that you know the local administrator password as it will probably be different then the domain one. (Your consultant can set this before the demotion to be on the safe side.)

2- Try to create a new user with Enterprise Admin rights, schema admin, domain admin, etc rights. Use this account to perform the DC demotion.

3- Make sure you are connected to your other DC (if you have any other) while you perform the DC demotion process. This will update the other servers as the loss of this DC.
Also, make sure that you have connectivity to the other DC's especially DNS resolution.

4- Make sure that you have access to your DNS server during the DC demotion process.

- hope some of these ideas help..

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I would check to make sure you have moved all of the FSMO roles to the other server... MS admits some of the processes don't work automatically as well as manually...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back