Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demoting 2003R2 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

upinflamezzz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2011
US
So, I have pretty much everything moved over from my 2003 server and I'm going to run dcpromo to demote it as a DC. My question is do I need to remove all the of the server roles before running dcpromo? My new server is running AD, DHCP, DNS, File, Print, Remote Access for VPN, and IIS. Thanks for any help.

There shouldn't be any need to remove the roles you have listed.
However more importantly have you transferred the FSMO roles such as Schema Master, RID, Domain Naming etc. to your new DC?

I took care of this and decided to remove the roles before running dcpromo. I had already moved the 5 Operations Masters Roles. I think that dcpromo would have moved the roles foe me though. Both my Domain Controllers are virtual, but I tested my disaster recovery DC before demoting the physical one and everything worked so I should be fine. Thanks for the reply.

"but I tested my disaster recovery DC before demoting the physical one and everything worked"
So basically you shutdown the server to be demoted, and everything works as it should.
You also run Dcdiag.exe and NetDiag.exe with the /v switch on your DCs, which should have no errors before demoting.
Once you demote,I would run Dcdiag and NetDiag again after the DCs have been restarted.
After demotion, I would run regedit on the other servers, search for the demoted servers name, if you find any references delete keys once you understand the reference involving the old servers name.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back