Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

demark device 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jd925

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
US
Hi this is simple

I know what a demark is but i am not sure if there is another name for this device

It is like an interface device on a house but larger and green.

Used mainly when large amounts of CO Lines are comming in.

Has a lock hole and a nut type lock

Made by AT&T/ Western Electric

There is a device that clips in to one of the blocks so you can tap in with a but set.

THANKS its a dumb question --- but i dont know what its called....

There could be many names for this device but if it is the feed to say an apartment building it is probably the building terminal. It could also be the demark if there is a way to seperate the telco side from the customers side or a distribution point if it is not directly connected to telco outside plant.

Usually these are just larget demarc, or protectors. Typically you have a left or bottom chamber where the splice is done, and then some type of block (66 or 110, or terminals).

Most apartment buildings that are older will have very large ones with terminals and carbon screw in protectors.

That is the building entrance protector panel.
Which sometimes is also used as the demark.
That type is now made by Circa.

I wouldn't say it's made by circa. We still put in nortel protectors, as well as 3m. They all come in green.

He said "Made by AT&T/ Western Electric"
which Circa now owns the rights to.

Didn't see that. My bad. Lucent/Avaya still makes and sells protectors as well.

Perhaps in your area, in ours it's referred to as an SNI, or Standard (or serial) Network Interface.

Standards are guidelies, what the local telco calls there interface is reality. It is often referred to as an SNI by the telco that installs it. I deal with four telcos in my area, half of them call their interface a NID and the other two call it an SNI.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I was on a job the other day and the sprint installer was looking to add 7 lines first he told me he was going to put in two NIDS

then he came back and said they would be replacing the NIDs with a Terminal

So isnt a NID the small 2 to 6 line plastic box and isnt a the multiline metal demark a terminal ?

A NID or SNI has the capability for the user to disconnect the inside wiring from the outside plant for testing and is usually the demark between where the telco will fix a problem for free and where they charge. A terminal is a connection that the telco uses to distribute cable pairs to where they need them.

Well, if you were to ever read the bell system outside plant guidelines, you'd see that it's called an SNI pal. Furthermore, I've worked for and with Pacific Bell... and I do about 95% outside plant work.

Most SNI's carry MTU's in them, which allow for remote testing as well (they can isolate to the telco side remotely for testing) but these units are beginning to get taken out because they have issues with DSL. In fact, a lot of times we were told to remove them whenever we saw them for that exact reason.

And as far as an SNI being a plastic device, etc. etc. no, not really. It's just the smallest version we use. While, more commonly a larger one (they usually go from 6 pair to 25 pair, 6 pair being a plastic unit, 25 pair being a metal unit) would be called a protector, or demarc, or I suppose terminal... but terminals are usually more commonly older style protectors that use screw terminals rather than 110 or 66 blocks, and they typically have screw in carbons for protectors.

I still would refer to a terminal moreso when I'm talking about a B-box, or a RAT (ready access terminal) for pair distribution, rather than demarcation.

"Standards are guidelines"
Well that explains why we have so many problems.
If we took the time to follow standards things would work much better.
They are called standards because they should be the standard way of doing things, they are not called the ANSI Guidelines.
Thank goodness other industries, such as windshield manufacturers follow their ANSI standards and don't just have the attitude that "oh those are just guidelines".

True they are voluntary for our industry, but that is exactly why we have so many questions in this forum that can easily be answered if one was to take the time to learn the standards for our industry.

I am glad that our manufacturers use them as minimums and usually work to exceed them, it’s a shame that so may of the people installing their products don’t set the bar as high.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

Richard, come on out into the real world with us for a minute, it feels like you are giving RCDD's a bad name. The guy wanted to know what the interface on the side of his house is called. Depending on the telco, it could be an SNI or NID or maybe something different.

Not everything is a standards violation, this has nothing to do with ANSI or windshields.

The reason we 'have so many problems here' is folks don't have the resources to find the answers or they haven't looked them up, or they just plain want to know how to make it work.

I personally feel our role in answering questions is to provide accurate answers. If 'the standards' require that interface device ONLY be referred to as a NID, then so be it I guess, there must be thousands of non-compliant Qwest techs and engineers that call it an SNI.

Often I offer a standards compliant solution and a 'this would work' answer, and try to discriminate between the two.

Take a break, leave the desk for a minute, and relax. This question certainly wasn't mission critical or even standards based.

Good Luck

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Those standards that you're referring to were also developed way after the fact.

If you want people that have been doing this for 40 years... that do outside plant construction... that basically bring up the networks that support this country, and the world beyond... to start referring to things by a different name after they've been calling it something for a very long time... then you're going to have a tough pill to swallow.

SNI, NID, it's still the same piece of equipment buddy... and I think you might want to take the approach that the standards are more important about the device itself, than what it's called. If you start nitpicking over every little thing like that, no one is going to "adopt" these standards because they're obviously not relevant to what we do.

So many problems in this industry...

I think the reason we have so many problems is because there are so many things going on! Telecommunications is a vast industry, not one that's easily learnable in even 10 years, there are always things you won't know... and that's why we have people asking questions, from novices to the masters.

You might think I'm a novice, and when it comes to Avaya Products, I am -- hence my name; however, when it comes to outside plant... welcome to my world. I do it every day, and I probably will for a good portion of the rest of my life.

Every guy I've ever worked with has called it an SNI, my outside plant codebooks and manuals call it an SNI (and they've been around a few more years than BICSI has...).

So drop it.

As I re-read the original post again, our telco's here would call that the building terminal. Depending on the installation, if the property has multiple owners and suites, the dmarc may be extended to each suite where an SNI or NID would be provided. Often these building terminals are the MPOP for the property, but individual SNI's or NID's may have been extended to the various suites.

The above may not be standards compliant, it is however what I see often in the field.

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back