Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delphi/Paradox/Interbase OK with Windows 2000 SP2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenK

Programmer
Jan 5, 2001
GB
I'm currently supporting an old client (I've adpoted along the way somewhere in life) who runs a Paradox / Interbase system over a network.
The system was written in Delphi 5 - and had been running for about 3 and a half years now.

The client is now wanting to update their Windows 2000 machines (on the server and on client machines) with Service Pack 2 - but is not wanting to do this if there is any question over whether their system will continue to operate.
I've suggested that I would post some messages to understand if there were any known issues that meant we should not update the client machines.

Is anyone aware of any problems that we / I might face following the update of SP2 on the Windows 2000 machines ?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

A paradox/interbase system?
I would like the interbase system in its totatlity.

Interbase is a very stable system and it runs fine on 98, NT, 2000, XP.

Steven

The system is already written making use of both Paradox and Interbase. It's set in stone.
Are there any known issues with the Windows 2000 SP2 in either of these regards or with Delphi / BDE ?

Thanks again.
Steve

My experience is no problems with migrating to a higher OS

Steven

The OS is not changing - we're simply looking at installing SP2 on the Windows 2000 machine.

Would this still be OK?

Thanks again.
Steve

Never had any problem, the only issue I can think of is some firewall system putting the computer in stealth mode.
This I had with windows ME/Norton firewall combination.

Interbase is what I call a fool proof system. The only precaution I would take is backing up the database(s), (that you have to do anyway [thumbsup]). Record the directories, if something goes wrong you always can re-install the Interbase server.

Steven

Are there any other users who have experience of upgrading the OS - installing SP2 ?

Are there any known issues / individuals with cautionary tales in this regards ?

Any words of warning would be listened to.
We are using Paradox tables along with a single Interbase database - all of which are running on a central server.

Each of the client machines is making use of (temporary) local Paradox tables.

Thanks again.
Steve

FWIW I have 20+ sites licensed to run anywhere from 2 to 70 clients, 90% of these are now on WIN2K SP2. Over the years we have upgraded through client machines running Win95/98/NT/XP/2000 and all the SPs on the client and NT/2000 plus SPs on servers without any problems with the OS so as Steven (svanels) says its basically one big yawn applying this service pack. If you haven't got a problem running 'stock' 2000 then you still won't after applying the service pack.

Thank you. :)
We didn't want to go ahead with things without some concrete positive responses.
A lot of people (on other forums) have been sitting on the fence with this question.
Thanks again.
Steve

My last response needs qualifying.

1) This being an InterBase forum I am of course (like svanels) commenting on the effect of applying the W2K SPs with reference to InterBase _only_.

2) My sites use the latest major release of InterBase so I am talking about InterBase 7.0/7.5

3) If you are using Paradox and you are accessing it via the BDE then of course I can't comment on how W2K SP2 will interact with a product whose use was deprecated several years ago

:)

I started an Interbase application with the BDE running on Windows 95. After all these years and several OS-upgrades it is still running. Never had to call in "specialized support" for Interbase. We all know of Database Administrators for SQL-Server, Oracle and others. I never "met" a "Certified Interbase Database Administrator" like we MCSA, MCSE, MCP, CCN, A+ and the whole pletora of acronyms going together with tons of certificates.
When I talk with people about Interbase they hardly know what it is.
But I know some industrial mission critical apps that run on Interbase.

Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back